[opendtv] Re: "Rock-bottom" mobile TV companies looking up

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:27:41 -0500

Their focus is not to add satellite reception to mobile phones. It is to
offer ubiquitous mobile TV reception. A hybrid system like XMRadio or Sirius
but concentrating on TV. The satellite portion offers reception in rural
areas where building out a terrestrial network is expensive. If they also
have hybrid receivers in cell phones that is just part of the market not the
target. In car and larger screen sizes on mobile/portable devices is the
target.

Since they will have more spectrum than an XMRadio or Sirius and since they
can easily add radio to the mix such ventures are serious threats to
satellite radio.

Bob Miller