[opendtv] Re: Reports from the Society for Information Display (SID) convention

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:11:52 +0200

Jeroen, thanks for some of the clarifications. Perhaps I should google on S
Emitting Displays and F Emitting Displays;-).

>> Some companies can now
>> also make ultra-slim rear projectors, e.g. a 60" that is only
>> some 6" deep. That's less than a flat panel on its stand...
> D: You'll need a stand for these as well, unless you hang it on a wall.

Maybe there's room at the bottom corners for some heavy bricks,  ;-)
and it can stand safely on its own. The pedestal under the screen is
actually quite high, for folding up the light path (with mirrors), so
they must typically stand on the ground, not on a table or cabinet.
I don't think that you would want to hang them on the wall, with that
large pedestal. But if it stands on the floor then it is less likely
to fall over then when a flat panel is put on a wobbly table.

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

The only one I have seen sofar is the Clarity Bengal 61" at 6.5" deep. Its
side and top edges weren't square, but of course the bottom is. It was
displayed on a stand consisting of two pillars, one on each side of the
display. However they told me explicitly that it was designed to be hung on
a wall as well. They also OEM this for Infocus, who provides the dlp
engine/optics. Since this is a manufacturer, originally specializing in
controlroom display systems and moving into digital signage, any display
that can not be used on a wall, will be of less use to them and the
customers.

http://www.idt.com.au/Clarity/Bengal.jpg
http://www.svconline.com/news/clarity_displays_infocus/
http://catalogs.infocommiq.com/AVCAT/CTL194/index.cfm/mlc_id/194/NOTRACK/1/pin_id/1642/ProdID/326119/T3/130322.htm
"Bengal is a stand alone product that can be placed on a pedastal or
directly on wall. at 61" diagonal and 6.4" deep, Bengal is designed
specifically for digital signage applications. Fully front servicable -
perform maintanance even when wall mounted". You'll need that as the
lamplife is only 2000 hours, so with the build-in back-up lamp, youl'll need
to open it at least once every 4000 hours.
http://www.clarityvisual.com/products-services/hardware/bengal.asp