[opendtv] RV: Re: News: Microsoft, Philips Offer New White Space Test Results

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:41:52 -0700

Richard;

I've d/l the report, but I won't be able to get to it for some time.

I think WSDs are impractical, at leas unless accompanied by an integrated
spectrum analyzer and field strength meter.

WSD will probably kill people before this all over (patients in ICUs on life
support, the monitoring equipment for which uses otherwise "unusued"
spectrum.

I don't there should be a balancing test between playing online games and
interference to tv or the potential loss of life.

It ain't just sat and cable boxes that will barf when this comes about.

Once people get wsds, they will want "more power."

RG-59; cable owns all the interference received by transmitting over that.
The FCC should have mandated a phased-in approach, instead of telling cable
firms they can upgrade to RG-6 in due course, as customers request fixes.
(I think my mom's house was upgraded from RG-58, circa 1968 vintage, a few
years back.)

John Willkie

  _____