[opendtv] Public safety providers could take three years to utilize reclaimed TV spectrum

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:31:06 +0200

Hi,

See: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050712_184947.html

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

+-------------------------------+------------------------------------------+
| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |

+-------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

Public safety providers could take three years to utilize reclaimed TV
spectrum

By Scott Fulton
July 12, 2005 - 18:49 EST

Washington (DC) - Stealing the thunder from Sen. John McCain's (R -
Arizona) arguments,
a representative from the Association of Chiefs of Police told Congress
this afternoon that
public safety officials may need as much as three years to utilize the
spectrum reclaimed
from analog TV.
In testimony before the Senate Commerce Committee, Harlin R. McEwen, a
former FBI
assistant deputy secretary, and now chairman of the Communications and
Technology
Committee of the association, told Sen. Daniel K. Inouye (D - Hawaii) that
if the deadline
for changing over the US analog television spectrum were set for today
instead of 31
December 2008, "it takes about a year of planning and licensing, and
developing the plan,
it takes another year of putting out a request for proposal...to purchase
equipment, and it
takes another year for that equipment to be purchased and built, and to be
put into service.
It takes about a minimum of three years from the date we start that
process." However, if
Congress and representatives of the broadcast, cable, and satellite TV
industries can
agree upon a date--any date--now, said McEwen, the public safety
community--including
police and sheriffs, fire and rescue, and other first responders--could
perhaps start that
three-year clock right away.

(...)

The specific appeal of the 24 MHz of bandwidth, in two segments,
comprising the 700
MHz band has to do with the physical properties of signals at those
frequencies. Deepa
Iyer, digital TV analyst for Parks Associates, who followed the hearings
along with
Tom's Hardware Guide, told us that 700 MHz signals have lower interference
than the
1 GHz + range typically associated with wireless phone and broadband. As
Charles
Townsend, President and CEO of Aloha Partners, told the Committee, a 700
MHz
signal can travel up to 2.5 times further than a 1900 PCS wireless phone
signal, as
demonstrated by TV's ability to pick up signals under bridges and behind
trees, in the
same locations where phone users tend to lose their signals. Aloha
Partners is the
nation's leading licenser of 700 MHz spectrum to wireless providers.

(...)