[opendtv] Public interest groups decry shortcomings of "Save Lives" digital transition act

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:12:07 -0400

September 21, 2004

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Ben Scott, FP
(202) 265-1490 x1
or Mark Cooper
CFA, (301) 384-2204

Public interest groups decry shortcomings of "Save Lives" digital
transition act

Bill expected for markup tomorrow, Sept. 22

[Open Letter Submitted to Members of Senate Commerce Committee from
Free Press and Consumer Federation of America]

Dear Senator,

We are writing to express our deep concerns about the Spectrum
Availability for Emergency-Response and Law Enforcement To Improve
Vital Emergency Services Act (the Save Lives Act). This bill finally
admits that, in spite of a multibillion dollar give-away to
broadcasters, the transition to digital television will take decades
if the broadcasters are left to their own devices. It sets a
much-needed, hard deadline for the return of some of the most
valuable airwaves to the public. We support the provisions that seek
to enhance public safety by devoting a part of the newly freed
airwaves to use by public safety organizations.

Unfortunately, the provisions that claim to protect consumers and
promote the public interest in other uses of the airwaves are a
disaster. After the needs of public safety users are taken care of,
the Save Lives Act misallocates the airwaves between licensed and
unlicensed uses, misappropriates the funds that would be raised
through auction of the airwaves, and fails to adequately protect
consumers from the burden of a forced transition to digital
broadcasting.

http://www.freepress.net/news/release.php?id=26