[opendtv] Public Safety Implications During Analog Shutdown

  • From: "Stephen W. Long" <longsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:07:44 -0400

Update on Radio Shack Receiver - no store (I tried 5 stores) has the
HTS6000 in stock anymore.  Manager said item has been hot seller once it
was put on clearance.  This fact tells me the price people that are willing
to pay for a receiver is sub $100.

Anyone on this list willing to buy one then mail it to me if they see one
at their local store?

>Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:49:17 -0400
>To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>From: "Stephen W. Long" <longsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Public Safety Implications During Analog Shutdown
>

>I am going to try to buy a DTV receiver today.  I have little faith it
will work at my house (no 8VSB receiver to date has been shown to work for
even 50% of the stations I should be able to receive), but I will at least
have a more current receiver with "miracle" chips - maybe it will work.
Note that I recently installed an older DirecTV/8VSB receiver (my brother
no longer needed the receiver once he got an HDTV Tivo).  During setup, I
watched the signal meter on each 8VSB channel.  Signal strength changed
from 60% to zero almost constantly, on most all channels, which is further
evidence known for some time now that there is some sort of wicked
multipath going on in my neighborhood.