[opendtv] Pre-Show vs. Theatrical Release Volume Levels

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:20:48 -0700

I suppose so, but the content is quite different, and what we do with our
time in each portion is also different.

During the advertisements, I would like to talk to my neighbors rather than
listen to pre-show ads.  But the ads are at such a level that I cannot talk
over them until there is a break.  During the movie (and trailers), I
shouldn't be talking anyway.

Also, the theatrical release's overall average is much lower, allowing for
peak sound levels to be appropriate for the content, e.g., an explosion.  I
would argue that the average power of the dialogue, which is usually the
greater percentage of the movies I typically watch, is much less than the
average power level of the pre-show content (not including film previews).

I much prefer theaters that run slide shows with low background music
before a movie.

Dan

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:59:47 -0400
From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Did Apple Just Crush the Next Revolution?

Actually, to the extent that there is any standardization, the pre-show
ads (not the trailers) are normally run 10 dB below the movie sound level.
TTFN,
Mark