[opendtv] Re: Pai: Title II Order Will Mean Rate Regulation | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:32:35 -0500

On Feb 11, 2015, at 6:50 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> And there isn't equally good reason to be concerned about Comcast or Cox
> refusing to carry HBO direct, or ESPN direct, or whatever, because "it
> conflicts with their business model"? Or pricing them out of competition by
> demanding very high connection fees from them?

No.

They do not block or slow Internet traffic today, and have stated that they
have no plans to do so. There has been some talk about "fast lanes," but this
is just a class of ISP service. Cox offers several levels of ISP service now.

And fast lanes would likely be a temporary fix until the infrastructure can
support hundreds of millions of video streams.

I might add, that they still sell cheap phones that only support 3G service.
Fast lanes would not break anything, unless the normal traffic is intentionally
slowed or ALWAYS congested. Unfortunately, we must live with the reality that
shared pipes may get congested. This was true in the '90s when you got a busy
signal when you tried to connect your modem to your ISP.

> Sorry, but I see threats from both sides. The difference being, I've voiced
> my concern about tariffs, taxes, and universal service mandates potentially
> accompanying this Title II classification, right from the start. Whereas you
> seem unable to see both sides of this, or most other issues.

We are in violent agreement. I have tried to air both sides of this story as
fairly as possible. That does not mean I cannot have an opinion about which
side I believe. I think the net neutrality threat has been overblown and used
as a rationale for more regulation, which ultimately will lead to higher cost
due to government "subscriber fees."