[opendtv] Re: PR: Enhanced AC-3 Audio Specifications Serve Mu ltiple Applications

  • From: "jmwillkie@xxxxxxx" <jmwillkie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Keith Jack <Keith_Jack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:05:27 -0700 (PDT)

Well, because you don't want the streams to be mixed in the encoder or
upstream.  The idea is to do the mixing based on viewer preferences.  As for
the rest, you'll have to ask a Dolby engineer.

Once DTV starts generating revenues, broadcasters will want to have
redundancy in AC-3 encoders.  Brute force is sometimes the only way to
insure redundancy.

Back to the point, in a dual-encoder/dual-decoder environment, one can use
one Music + Effects channel and combine it with any number of monolingual
center (or dual audio) tracks for individual languages.  The savings, per
language service, over your scenario is over 300K bits per second.  On the
receiver side, aside from having dual decoders, the max bit rate for the
combined streams is 576K, versus 448K for singl-stream audio.

John Willkie