[opendtv] Re: Obama's net neutrality push: Why Silicon Valley should be careful what it wishes for | Fox News

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 00:27:01 +0000

I'd only mention that Netflix did offer to distribute its own servers
throughout ISP nets, to defray some of that ISP cost. And that the ISPs can
demand higher prices for faster broadband customer links, in large measure,
because Netflix exists.

There is also the obvious conflict of interest, when the broadband provider is
also an MVPD, and the new content source wanting access happens to compete
against the MVPD/ISP's self interests.

Finally, the public perception of a neutral Internet was fueled primarily by
the fact that, in its formative years, Internet access was only available to
consumers via Title II neutral telephone lines. Plenty of ISP competition, no
threat of any unilateral blocking by any middleman.

As valid as the points made in the article might be, ignoring the above makes
the article less than compelling. I keep saying, "yes but."