[opendtv] Re: News: Will HDTV antipiracy plan unplug digital networks?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:27:06 -0400

Frank Eory wrote:

> I'm sure Hollywood is doing its best to clean up its own=20
> house. But it is contrary to thier own financial interest to=20
> burden CE products with additional cost & complexity that is=20
> completely unnecessary in protecting content from the true=20
> CUSTOMERS that pay for that content. The non-customers -- the=20
> pirates who want free content -- will find a way to get it anyway.

Concur completely here. Still, it's not unexpected from the
movie studios. However the "FCC mulling over" the fate of analog
is much more troubling. The FCC should "mull over" the fact that
if analog is permitted to go bye-bye, the FCC's own intentions
of not infringing on fair use rights that consumers have come to
expect would become empty words.

Consumers should absolutely have a right to time-shift HDTV
shows in HDTV, just as we gradually became capable of time-
shifting NTSC shows in the same quality in which they were
transmitted. Both S-VHS and the current DVD recorders permit
this, with NTSC.

The FCC should stick to its stated principles. I trust they
will.

Here's the offending quote from the article: