[opendtv] Re: News: Millions Face Blank Screens in TV Switch

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 19:48:57 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Reality - NTSC and ATSC do not provide the same level of service.

The reality is that the signal propagation is the same, dependent on
things like antenna heights and frequency bands. The reality is that the
difference is caused by the digital cliff, NOT by the propagation
properties.

The digital cliff applies to signal strength and it applies to ghost.
With analog, you can get very far from ideal and still achieve some sort
of success. Snowy pictures, ghosty pictures, even horribly distorted
pictures. With digital, you encounter this cliff.

To pretend there is a difference in propagation is simply false.

> What they need is the appropriate hardware and software stacks to
> support the services they WANT. Paying for a bunch of IP again and
> again is the real problem Bert. How many MPEG-2 decoders have you
> paid for?

Again, consistency in complaints makes a tremendous difference. What was
the cost of an MPEG-2 license? A one-time $2.50 per unit? Outrageous as
that seems to me too, it's hardly something to get out of kilter about,
compared to the schemes you advocate.

And by the way, your mandatory home network "solution," to supposedly
avoid these trivial one-time expenses, is far from free. The TV server
is far from free. I can't believe the MPEG-2 license, to avoid having to
install a home network, would bother anyone who gives it some thought.