[opendtv] Re: News: Internet Use Tops TV Viewing -- 46 To 34 Percent

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:37:04 -0400

> Internet Use Tops TV Viewing -- 46 To 34 Percent
>
> September 30, 2004 12:00am
> Source: PBI Media, LLC. All rights reserved.
>
> DCD Business Report: The Online Publishers Association
> (OPA) has published a "Generational Media Study," the
> fourth installment in a series of research reports
> detailing the viewing choices of 18 to 34 year-old media
> consumers. The study, conducted by New York-based Frank
> N. Magid Associates, examines how the Internet,
> television, radio, newspapers and magazines compare
> across the generations. Results indicate that consumers
> are moving beyond the more functional uses of the
> Internet into more media-oriented activities.
>
> The study asked respondents to compare qualitative
> aspects of consuming content online versus offline.
> Notably, the Internet is the only medium with net growth
> in perceived time spent. Forty-seven percent of
> respondents indicate that they spend more time using the
> Internet now compared to one year ago. And, 35 percent
> of respondents indicate that they spend less time playing
> video/PC games, with 28 percent saying they spend less
> time watching television.
>
> [Copyright 2004 PBI Media, LLC. All rights reserved.]

Interesting as this analysis is, the title misses the
crucial point entirely, IMO.

What's interesting about the results is that Internet
use was "perceived" to have gone up for nearly half of
respondents in the 18 to 34 year old demographic. That
word "perceived" time spent could have a lot to do
with what the trendy answer to the survey questions
might be. But be that as it may ...

So where did they get the extra time to spend on the
Internet? The title implies that time came at the expense
of TV viewing, but that's hardly the interesting result.
What their analysis shows is that the biggest loser is
video games, by quite a margin.

The way the results are presented, it's hard to draw
a very clear picture. If we assume that the the
people playing fewer video games and watching less
TV are also those who use the Internet more, then we
would conclude that almost 75 percent of these folk play
fewer video games, and almost 60 percent watch less TV.
But that assumption demands a big leap of faith.

My bet is that these results don't show what's going on
very well. Many people are spending considerably more
time on the Internet, but it's hardly at the expense of
TV viewing. Much more likely, it's at the expense of
shopping in stores or in malls, going to the library or
bookstore, going to the bank, paying bills by writing
checks and addressing envelopes, writing letters, going
to the movies, waiting in line at the DMV or other
government office, and reading hardcopy newspapers. My
bet is that reality shows and sitcoms on TV get plenty
of attention from this demographic.