[opendtv] Re: News: Comcast Profit Rises 64% on Digital TV and Internet Services

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:54:36 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > It would be interesting to see the breakdown of these
 > numbers. For example, what aspects of the digital TV service
 > did people want most? The VOD? The HD content? The increased
 > choice? My bet is the latter two more than the first.

In my case it was none of the above.  About 6 months ago Comcast had
someone contact me saying I could not keep my HD-DVR any longer unless I
was willing to sign up for their lowest tier digital package for about
$11/mo more.  There were no extra stations I wanted but I went along
with it for the DVR.  Then I found even that was just a teaser rate
which would go up again last month.  So I canceled all of it and dropped
back to limited basic again a couple weeks ago.

It's too bad though since I'd since given my Tivo to my kids and now I
can only do computer recording.  But it sort of shows Comcast had quite
a push on if they were even willing to hassle existing happy customers.

- Tom