[opendtv] News: Broadcasters Say Key to Survival Relies on Localism

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:24:07 -0500

Broadcasters Say Key to Survival Relies on Localism
January 27, 2005 12:00am

  Warren Publishing's COMMUNICATIONS DAILY is reporting that
broadcasters at the NATPE conference are saying that local content is
the only thing that will keep broadcasters alive in today's
competitive environment. "

  The story relates that the key to broadcasters' longevity as an
information source is how they deliver the news, the broadcast
executives said.

  The report concludes:  For over-the-air TV to survive, broadcasters
must embrace these new technologies, while focusing on local content,
Swanson said. The problem is that many stations don't have the
programming staff to focus on local coverage, after 1980s downsizing,
he said. "I think it would be advantageous if we focus on developing
our own programming," Swanson said.