[opendtv] Re: News: Analyst Predicts IPTV Takeover

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:29:54 -0400

The Internet is oversubscribed but I think the relevant costs of
Internet TV depend upon the marginal effort of getting it, for any new
individual at any given point in time.   People will try it in ones and
twos and see if it works.  As it starts working providers will gradually
provide more bandwidth on some pricing model that sells.  As it fails to
work people will use less Internet TV until it does.

This process will cycle but likely grow since it is possible to
gradually provide the bandwidth and service and one could imagine some
demand for it.

On a good day with a tailwind I can now download huge files from the
news groups using my standard issue home Comcast broadband at close to 6
mbps.  On other days or at busy times I get closer to 3 mbps.  But those
numbers are gradually growing and already sufficient for downloading
video files.

As more people download video it will first slow down and then extra
bandwidth will be sold due to the obvious demand.  It's a natural market
evolution and the bandwidth is getting ever cheaper to provide.

- Tom