[opendtv] Re: News: 10 Billion Video Views Online in December

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:28:40 -0500

At 11:56 AM -0500 2/22/08, John Shutt wrote:
My not-so-well made point was that people may watch a large number of YouTube videos, but they don't watch long format videos on the web. They watch "highlight reels" of stuff, which is what YouTube is all about.

Agreed. If it is long form it is more likely that they will download it and view it at another time. I don't think the story i posted necessarily reflects all of the ways that the Internet is used to access video content.

I do agree that the computer is not the best place to watch long form programming, except for Steve Jobs' keynote speeches...

;-)

I dispute the premise that they would have spent the time watching traditional TV. Most YouTube viewing happens in the cubicle, not the living room.

Agreed. And there is an outside chance that they could have a TV on in the room...

But the point is that this is time they most likely could not spend watching TV.

Net viewing is up, but traditional hard copy book, magazine, and newspaper reading is down. Would it be fair to say that for every minute someone read the Times it is a minute that they didn't watch TV?

Yes. But I understand where you are coming from.

The web is perfect for short form "sound bytes" video and print.

Agreed.

If I have something long to read from the web - typically large PDF documents, I typically print them out to read.

So just because more of one sort of video experience is gaining, doesn't mean that the more traditional form lost that same amount of viewership.

Agreed.

I'm not certain who is tracking, how, or even if all of the video programs being shared via bit torrent are tracked. I believe this is where much of the long form stuff is happening...

And a health chunk via Apple's iTunes downloads. Looks like the rental movies went online today.