[opendtv] Re: Netherlands switches off analogue TV

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:51:35 +0100

Hi,

Bert wrote:
> I suppose that does not imply that the DTT previously on the air had to
> be all pay-TV, but from what Jeroen said before, that's mostly the case.

There was never any analog pay-TV, and the "commercial channels"
have never been available over the air, only on satellite and
cable. So with the new "Digitenne", what you first had analog
FOTA you now get digital FOTA. The rest of the package, the
"commercials", is only available for a subscription fee. Then
you get a part of the cable and satellite package, but still
no BBC 1 and 2.

> Under these circumstances, it seems easy to understand why 95
> percent of viewers subscribe to cable. Even more than in Germany
> before analog shutoff.

Until a private satellite receiver became affordable, this was
the only way of receiving more channels. People in the border
areas of the country could receive Germany and/or Belgium as
analog FOTO, nowadays also digital, but in the rest of the
country it was only Nederland 1, 2 and later also 3. It is very
easy to convert people to cable if you can increase their choice
tenfold ! (Or with satellite: thousandfold.)

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |