[opendtv] Re: Netflix's Move Onto the Web Stirs Rivalries

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 17:53:41 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Yes more people have broadband, and speeds have increased. But
> improvements in video compression technology have literally cut the
> problem in half, and improvements in streaming technology have
> contributed to the improvements as well.

Can you describe exactly what "improvements in streaming technology" you think
have been so instrumental in this, since 2003?

> The principal cause of the problem is the architecture of first-decade
> technology;

Can you explain exactly what you are calling "architecture of first-deacde
technology"?

> MPEG-2 is now wastes huge amounts of bandwidth for both broadcasters
> and the MVPDs.

Same old non-credible mantra. "Huge amounts" my foot. In spite of the rhetoric,
when it comes to quoting actual bit rate requirements used in transmitting TV
quality SD and HD, it isn't H.264 that "saved the day" at all. The bit rates
are very close between the two, EVEN IF the quality achieved at a given bit
rate might show gains with H.264.

On the other hand, when more people used dialup than broadband for Internet
access, dialup being no better than 52 Kb/s downstream (even though it was
called 56K) and broadband in the neighborhood of 768 Kb/s downstream, it was
very obvious that decent quality movies were not going to become available
streamed in real time.

The one overriding difference is the speed of the last mile connection. With
the current 10 to 50 Mb/s downstream broadband connections you can get from
either cable or FiOS, streaming of HD quality movies in real timer is VERY
feasible, even with MPEG-2 compression, Craig. Without having to rely on vague
and unsubstantiated references to "architecture of first-decade technology,"
Netflix has no problem selling more streamed movies than DVD rentals, right
about now.

The one obvious change that made this streaming possible wasn't even mentioned
in the article, favoring instead to rely on the vague notions we have become so
accustomed to.