[opendtv] Re: Net Neutrality

  • From: "John Shutt" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "shuttj@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 21:11:09 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 6:46 PM
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Net Neutrality

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

So you are against the free market deals that exist today between large
portals and ISPs, and CDNs and ISPs?

Making it easier for high volume sources to get their content into last mile nets, while not impacting on other content, is not a problem. What is a problem is "free market deals" that have ISPs throttle back certain content sources, and at the same time not allow these content owners to install edge servers at their expense, just so the ISP can extort an extra revenue stream.

Another way to look at it is I'm paying for the content (Netflix) and I'm paying to have it delivered to me (DSL.) I don't have a problem if that premium content that I pay extra for gets priority on DSL's fibers over a cat playing with yarn from YouTube.

(Full disclosure: I don't subscribe to Netflix nor do I watch cat videos on YouTube. But I do watch a lot of YouTube...)

Cheers,

John