[opendtv] Re: NEWS: Thomson, LG Picked for DTV Converters

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:01:57 -0400

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6263614.html?display=3DBreakin=
+News&referral=3DSUPP

Thomson, LG Picked for DTV Converters

By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 10/5/2005 11:38:00 AM

Thomson and Korean consumer electronics giant LG Electronics
have each been tapped by broadcasters to create a prototype
digital-to-analog converter box.

The June announcement continued that war, seeming to imply
that CEA members would need some guidance from broadcasters
to ensure they could produce low-cost devices that also
worked well. CEA certainly saw it as a slap. "It's
ridiculous," said Michael Petricone, VP, technology policy
for CEA, when the RFQ was issued. "They are making up an
issue where no issue exists."
---------------------------------------

First, is the Thomson box using a Linx/Micronas chip, I
wonder? No press release at the Micronas or Thomson sites.
If yes, the NAB seems to have picked two good candidates,
from CRC and other test reports we've seen recently.

As to the CEA position, I think there is a problem. The
problem is that the broadcasters don't trust the existing
8-VSB receivers. Even if that problem were purely a figment
of the broadcasters' imaginations, the only way to
eliminate it is for the broadcasters themselves to get
active in testing and "blessing" receiver designs. Then
their opposition to a hard date has a hope of softening
and the CEA members would start seeing demand.

The fact that existing receiver designs available to
consumers did not like any significant amount of pre-echo
is at least one obvious indication that a real problem did
exist. At least, for users who cannot be guaranteed a
strong direct signal, and for deployment of gap fillers.
So I don't think the broadcasters were just imagining
problems.

I'm gratified to see that the major networks *are*, in
fact, figuring out what to multicast. And it seems they
are paying attention to what the other networks are doing,
to result in something viewers might actually want. Good
news all around, from my point of view. Somehow, it did
not seem a stretch that just this sort of planning would
happen.