[opendtv] Multi-platform VOD

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:09:13 -0500

I just listened to a podcast from Broadcasting and Cable about Multi-platform VOD. It turns out that several large VOD equipment vendors like SeaChange are pushing the cable industry to deploy servers that make VOD content available not only over the cable system proprietary pipes, but via the Internet and mobile as well.

Given the discussion Bert and I just had about network neutrality and VOD, this adds another dimension to the discussion. As Bert pointed out, the proprietary service for subscribers may be using the same IP packet data as would be used for wired and wireless broadband service for those using the Internet. But the proprietary service typically has better QOS guarantees.

My educated guess is that a cable system could still operate the proprietary VOD service with different delivery guarantees than for the Internet service, but they clearly could not give preference to their own VOD service versus others delivered via the Internet.