[opendtv] More on the 1-pixel camera

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:42:17 -0400

This is the news article from Rice University:

http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=8912&SnID=60786
67

The concise explanation is stated as:

"In the single-pixel camera, the image from the lens is shined onto a
digital micromirror (DMS) and bounced from there through a second lens
that focuses the reflected by the DMD onto a single photodiode (PD). The
mirrors of the DMS are shuffled at random for each new sample, creating
random patterns of black and white, as depicted in this schematic. Each
time the mirrors shift, a new pixel is recorded by the photodiode. The
camera creates [I would have said 'records' or 'encodes'] an image by
capturing just one point of light, or pixel, several thousand times in
rapid succession. The thousands of single-pixel snapshots are then
assembled by a computer into a high-resolution image."

Okay, so my guess is that the "missing piece" in this explanation is
that somehow that (pseudo-)random sequence used by the DMD in the camera
needs to be duplicated at the decoding end. Then at least it's clear
that information isn't being thrown away.

So my guess is that you need a time sync and knowledge of the
pseudo-random sequence, from camera to display.