[opendtv] Re: Moonves: We're Willing to Talk to Aereo | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 07:13:17 -0400

Bert wrote:

> Well, you know, that 83 percent INCLUDES the MVPD subscribers who watch on
> the Internet from MVPD-authenticated sites. So his 90 percent number was
> probably overstated.

Perhaps. He may also be including the number of people who, like yourself,
watch via an OTT site.

> I realize that you're still not beyond thinking in terms of MVPDs, Craig. The
> six justices who voted against Aereo too.

How can anyone be beyond thinking about MVPDs Bert?

They ARE the current reality and the source of that MAJOR second revenue stream.

But more important, CBS and the rest of the content congloms EXPECT to control
the distribution of their content via the Internet, and the are doing
everything in their power to move the bundle to the Internet and adapt to On
Demand consumption in addition to their traditional live streaming business
model.

There is no indication that any branch of government is going to break up their
lucrative oligopoly.