[opendtv] Re: Linear streams' role in building an audience

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 09:48:41 -0400

On Jul 15, 2015, at 9:29 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hulu does a good job of this, actually. It allows you to search TV shows or
movies, based on recent stuff they added, or based on their own preferences,
or based on the genre you like. And, of course, finding what you like has
always been a problem with books too. But I don't know too many people who
ever claimed that this was "too much of a good thing," with respect to the
size of their local (book) library.

It was a gimmick to get hits for the article Bert. Obviously if there is a huge
amount of original content it is not possible to watch all of it. But people
have different tastes, so it boils down to how big an audience can you build
for your content, and how you promote the content to build that audience.

Absolutely. And, in both linear and on-demand TV, there are ad breaks that
serve this same purpose. Before a new season begins, the networks transmit
such ads, and they tell you when the first linear episode will air. And
there's more. Interestingly enough, *if* you watch TV as I do, very often the
networks will give you the first episode one week before it airs on their
linear channel! How about that? So, you discover the show without a linear
channel, and you can even get hooked on the series before the linear
hold-outs get the chance. Do you think perhaps that the congloms are starting
to put more emphasis on their on-demand offerings?

Yes. They are always looking for ways to build their audience, and they are
finally beginning to move away from the old serial, tune in next week, mind
set. But this does not mean that they are going to abandon the linear networks
that still generate the lion's share of their revenues.

Well, I can tell you without any doubt, it don't work that way for me. I find
the new shows without ever tuning to the linear channel.

OPTIONS.

In fact, I've had to drop following older shows, only because the new ones
seemed so interesting, without ever relying on linear anything. Honestly,
repeating myself, the most technically credible way of thinking about this is
that linear streams used to be the only game in town, and now they just
aren't anymore. Their *useful* role is limited to certain special cases,
which should add up to a fraction of weekly TV consumption time, if people
were given a well-designed on-demand option. ATSC 3.0 should be providing
that well-designed option.

OPTIONS!

It is not : "your way or the highway."