[opendtv] Indoor reception test

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:49:14 -0400

As indicated previously, one of my favorite stations, independent MHz Networks,
5 multicasts of international character, is entirely in the wrong direction for
my outdoor antenna. Also, 20 miles away as the crow flies, Channel 30, 160 KW
ERP. And there's a hill in the way.

I had tested reception a couple weeks ago with a Radio Shack double bowtie, and
Accurian STB, but had to locate it in the living room. Very low WAF (wife
acceptance factor).

So I bought this Antennas Direct DB4

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=AD-DB4

This time, I connected it via, RF switch, to the LG TV and Philips PVR. I sat
the antenna on the fireplace, leaning against the brick, quite unceremoniously.
Antenna height about 2 1/2' or so.

Crossing my fingers, I turned on the TV to Channel 30. Came in solid. Then
without changing anything, I tried all my usual channels.

Everything local comes in fine. I walked around with the antenna as far as I
could, given only a 12' lead, and all remained fine.

The Annapolis station does not come in. And only two of the Baltimore stations
come in: CBS13 and CW54. Walking around with the antenna, I determined that my
original antenna placement, close to the fireplace, i.e. not shielded by the
siding outside, was a good bet. The weaker signal from Baltimore made this
obvious. Aiming was clearly not a big factor, since the antenna is obviously
not aimed toward Baltimore.

This was a very quick test. I wasn't planning to spend time at it just now.