[opendtv] Hurricane Emergency Over-The-Air Broadcasting -WPVI Digital CH-6 ATSC

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:54:49 -0400

Is WPVI-DT Ch-6 broadcasting at much higher RF power over the air
this weekend during their emergency coverage of Hurricane Irene?

The actual RF frequencies of their Ch-6 OTA signal is from 82 to 88 MHz.

I live 39 miles from the transmitter and reception is usually, poor to
intermittent.

However...

Beginning Saturday during the leadup to Hurricane Irene's pass by the Eastern shore of the Mid-Atlantic states, WPVI began broadcasting full time emergency information and weather updates to keep everyone in the area informed of the progress of the storm. This coverage is continuing
at the moment due high flooding of area rivers and streams.

What is very different is that the digital reception of this normally
poor signal is pristine, clear and without any breakups.

There are no anomalies of either sound or image, no stutters or freezes that are the norm for my reception of this signal.

Normally in the past, the Ch-6 signal deteriorates quickly and badly during rain storms and becomes unwatchable until calmer weather returns to the area.

This weekend, during 40 to 60 mile-per-hour winds and heavy rain of 1 to 2 inches per hour, reception of WPVI over the air is practically perfect with no breakups or audio lapses.

Can anyone shed light on if they increased power and to what level? I believe their licensed ERP is 31KW, which doesn't make for good reception 39 miles away from their transmitter.

Regards,

Cliff Benham