[opendtv] Re: How PCs Will Take Over the Living Room and John E. Karlin, Who Led the Way to All-Digit Dialing

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:50:31 -0600

Excellent summary of the points, Tom. Good job.

I had heard about John Karlin, but I didn't remember the name. In particular,
way back in the 1960s, I heard about why the telephone keypad is not arranged
the same as calculator keypads. User clinics, in short.

One thing, phone numbers have changed over time. First, the strings of numbers
used to be shorter than they are now. And second, in many parts of the world,
including in the US, they were originally a combination of letters and numbers,
just for ease of memorizing them. I guess for whatever reasons, everyone seems
to have gotten away from the letters.

The Internet had the same addressing problem to solve that the telephone
industry had to solve. But the IETF from the start determined that people
should NOT be required to memorize long strings of numerals. That's why they
built this entirely parallel structure, the Domain Name System. A big global
network of servers whose only job is to translate names into the actual IP
address, the numbers plugged into the IP header, used for routing of packets.