[opendtv] Re: How Battlestar Galactica Killed Broadcast TV

  • From: "Silvio Macedo" <s.macedo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:26:51 +0100

> Piracy  is  Good?
> How Battlestar Galactica Killed Broadcast TV

it also says:

"Check back next week for part two of Piracy is Good?
THE NEW LAWS OF TELEVISION
http://www.mindjack.com/feature/swarm051305.html
"

Thanks for these two great links.

Please forgive me to cite the text, but, Kon & others, these two
excerpts point in the same way I was pointing, and, I admit, make a
better argument:
in Mark Pesce, www.mindjack.com

"
 TV producers want their programming to be watched as widely as
possible - by everyone. That's what they care about, and that's all
they care about, because, with viewers, everything else takes care of
itself: audiences equal money.

This assertion seems so basic, so fundamentally essential to the
economics of television, that it's very hard to understand why anyone
(other than a broadcaster being cut out of the value chain) would get
upset about piracy of television programming. The model as practiced
at present can't effectively leverage the economic benefits of
hyperdistribution, but that model was created before hyperdistribution
was technically possible. The age of hyperdistribution demands the
development of new economic models which can harness piracy, for
profit. So, let's move directly to a discussion of one such model.
"

"
Although no formal surveys have been conducted, it's reasonable to
assert that at least four percent of Australians, two percent of
Britons, and one percent of Americans are already using broadband
hyperdistribution to get some percentage of their TV programs. Based
on my own research, I have found television downloading to be
widespread among men 18 to 25 years old, precisely the demographic
most coveted by advertisers. In other words, the prime audience is
already there, already waiting and already willing to receive. All
that remains is to put the components of this new value chain into
operation."

Silvio