[opendtv] HDTV: A Shopper's Survival Guide

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:14:06 -0500

NOVEMBER 23, 2004

SPECIAL REPORT: TV, TODAY AND TOMORROW

HDTV: A Shopper's Survival Guide

The words high-definition TV are enough to give many consumers the
sweats. We'll help you relax and buy smarter

Flat or fat? EDTV or HDTV? LCD or plasma? Anyone who's on the hunt
for a new TV set these days knows getting a dream screen can be more
confusing than the plotline of Days of Our Lives. It's no wonder: The
TV market is undergoing its biggest change in 50 years, when the
first color set was introduced.

Manufacturers such as Sony, Panasonic, and Toshiba are
leading a charge to develop flat-panel sets, which range from plasma
and liquid-crystal displays (LCDs) to rear-projection sets and even
to advanced versions of the incumbent cathode ray tube (CRT). At the
same time, new digital standards are leading to the rise of
high-definition programming, which eventually will replace those
fuzzy analog broadcasts that now rule.

By yearend, 13% of U.S. households will have digital TVs, according
to the Consumer Electronics Assn. But that number is expected to jump
to at least 65% by 2008 as prices fall sharply and government
regulations on broadcasting digital programming take effect.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2004/tc20041123_5536_tc184.htm