[opendtv] Re: HDCP 2.2

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 23:55:08 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> As we saw with DVD, high quality SDTV scales up nicely to HD.
> The same us true for HD to 4K displays.

For sure. But, I'm sure it's not just me, this conversation has happened
already. Let's at least, acknowledge that fact, and acknowledge that the
nay-saying was proved wrong.

My predictions would be more like, just as HDTV allowed the creation of a whole
new line of TV sets, with way bigger displays than even the most expensive
previous ones, this UHD evolution could prove to do something similar. Bigger
TVs, perhaps. Wrap around TVs, almost certainly. More effective and capable
image processing tools AFTER the MPEG decoder (i.e. controlled by the user),
almost certainly. Plus, you get better color in the equation and an image that
appears almost liquid. What's not to like?

There *is* a perceptible difference between the quality of upconverted DVDs and
BluRay, after all. Just like no one calls acoustic playback of 78 RPM records
"high fidelity" anymore, humans have a funny way of adapting to improvements
and of re-evaluating what they once believed.

If the content can be distributed with the same quality as the master, without
having to wear out the master in the process, there's nothing wrong with
distributing this "master." The owner can still protect the master copy. If
it's true that H.265 can compress to half the size of H.264, which in theory
would mean 1/4 the size of MPEG-2 compression, I'd call it the next
evolutionary step, and looking forward to it.

None of this disputes the mess these guys are creating, with incompatible
baseband copy protection schemes.