[opendtv] Re: HD standards conversion

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:13:08 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> I have not worked with that sort of standards
> conversion but if you had 25 progressive frames
> (50 fields) and you wanted 60 fields I can't see
> any reason to slow it down first, just to speed
> it up with repeated pulldown fields.  If you
> need 10 more fields / second why not just throw
> them in at appropriate intervals?  And leave the
> audio alone.

I think that what Mark is after is something more
up to date. In an era of MPEG compression, with
its motion vectors, one would think that frame
rate conversion could be accomplished in a less
crude manner than frame repetition followed by
uneven dropping of frames, or just sending frames
at the wrong rate on purpose.

For example, from the original MPEG stream, using
the original interframes and motion vectors,
recompute interframes to fall correctly on their
new time slots, and scale the B and P frames for
the new frame rate as well.

Sounds CPU intensive, but for non-real-time
conversion this might be doable.