[opendtv] Re: HD Radio chip marks SiPort's recovery

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:40:38 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The main target is what can be received via the digital sidebands,
> which can carry a wide variety of data services. This is probably
> the reason for the separation of the AM tuner...

Craig, all of the digital content of HD Radio (aka IBOC) is carried in
the digital sidebands, when the system is operating in hybrid mode. In
the AM version of IBOC, some very low level digital content can also be
sneaked in underneath the analog content, over the main AM carrier.

The analog audio service is duplicated entirely in the digital
sidebands, along with additional audio porogramming, and possibly those
extra data bits you mention.

> The real future of HD radio is in the bits, not the primary analog
> service.

Well, the audio digital service is a big draw, to me. Like DTV, the
digital audio carries multiple subchannels. In this area, music stations
tend to have two program channels in digital, and talk stations, or talk
+ music, tend to have three subchannels.

Since radio is so well suited to mobile and portable use, it seems to me
that the audio digital subchannels should be a big draw. Any new data
streams might or might not be a big deal. This is a repeat of what was
discussed years ago, wrt ATSC data services.

> The FM band is better suited to delivering bits reliably.

I think the real problem with sending IBOC on MW (i.e. the AM band) is
that it interferes with analog AM service, especially at night. Also
that it is limited in capacity, compared with IBOC VHF service. If
analog AM could be shut down, MW digital radio could be VERY
interesting, because the audio quality is very good. A huge improvement
over AM analog audio.

As to selling music over broadcast radio, I have my doubts. If I were a
station owner, I'd sooner get me a web site for that.