[opendtv] Re: [Fwd:Re Loss of emergency communication]

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 09:55:35 -0500

At 7:16 PM -0500 1/8/10, Cliff Benham wrote:
So where does this leave us in emergency communications. The Reverse
911 system has only started to be implemented. How does that work
with IP-based or cellular-based communication? I guess it could work
with IP-based if everyone kept their database up to date.

Actually with IP communications it is very easy to issue specific emergency alerts.

Our local community college has a system that sends a text message to all students when there is a campus emergency. It effectively shut the institution down recently when someone left a book bag under a tree and they cleared the campus.

Add to this the fact that more and more mobile devices use GPS, and it is easy to see how emergency alerts can be issued to those who are in harms way.

I still rely on radio for emergency situations for several reasons:

1. It works on a variety of devices I own.

2. It tends to be more survivable than TV and cable services - we lost both after Hurricane Francis in 2004.

2a. Our local radio stations dedicated their resources to providing 24/7 emergency information. Our local TV stations ran periodic reports.

REgards