[opendtv] [Fwd: RE: PSIP Patent fun]

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:38:28 -0500

Personal email from John Wilkie, posted with permission.

Though I suspect the FCC will at least comment and request an amicable resolution.

- Tom

From: John Willkie <jwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tom Barry' <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [opendtv] PSIP Patent fun
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:07:10 -0800

Tom;

(off-list)  I am having problems posting to the list, and I haven't had the
spare cycles to fix it.  You can feel free to post this to the list.

I suspect that the FCC will not intervene; I know of no FCC regulation that
requires set makers to include PSIP functionality in their products.

This would appear to be another case where the ATSC patent policy might have
been abrogated.

I have been retained as a defense expert witness in what appears to be
parallel case brought by Funai under the same patent. It could taint my
potential testimony and could compromise that party's position to comment in
any depth.

I have reviewed the 6.115.074 patent, and it seems to cover technology used
in the now obsolete A/55 (a predecessor to PSIP.)  I am not sure that the
claims in the patent cover the technologies used in rendering PSIP
information.

My understanding (which comes from outside the case and in a different
context, and from an attorney who I believe isn't connected to this matter)
is that if an alleged infringer doesn't follow all the steps in the patent
claim, then the patent hasn't been infringed.

Unfortunately, it would be inappropriate for me to comment further.  But, I
think I might be available, were Vizio seeking an expert defense witness.
The first time I saw the patent, I thought someone was alleging that I was
an infringer.

John Willkie
EtherGuide Systems