[opendtv] Re: Flash support still elusive on iPad

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:12:45 -0500

At 9:08 AM -0800 2/2/10, Kon Wilms wrote:
Craig you are such a Apple fanboy. I at least have to laud you for that!

One touching example does not make it the norm.

I am proud of the fact that there are so many diverse points of view on this list. It is one of the things that has kept it going since 1995.

The reality is that our individual "frames of reference" are very important, especially when talking about the bleeding edge of technology evolution. What we work with (and are comfortable with) has a strong influence on our perceptions. I would be among the first to say that Microsoft won the perception game for the desktop computing paradigm, even as they borrowed heavily from Apple and others.

I am reminded of a conversation I overheard while riding a bus between venues at a Comdex conference in the late '80s. Essentially it boiled down to:

"Why would ANYONE want to abandon the command line interface of DOS? It is so efficient. Why would developer want to have their hands tied by a graphical user interface, when they can create the UX (user experience) and make their apps fly..."

I am not really an Apple Fan Boy, although I did make a few bucks working with the QuickTime group. What I am (or I was) is a technology evangelist trying to help clients survive one of the most disruptive eras in technology the world has ever seen.

I came to respect what Apple was doing (and the vision of their advanced technology gurus) while working on the ATSC standard. And I came to despise Microsoft because of the tactics they used to "convince" the television and CE industries to partner with them to bring about "convergence." They could not buy their way into the CE business - only the X-box has had any real impact on the CE industry.

But all of that is history now. We are all debating whether Apple got ANOTHER one right...