[opendtv] Finding the Right Big-Screen Television Set

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 01:43:10 -0500

December 7, 2005
Finding the Right Big-Screen Television Set

By WALTER S. MOSSBERG and KATHERINE BOEHRET

Long after the Christmas trees have been taken down and the menorahs
packed away, that television set you purchased as a holiday gift will
still be around, looming over your family room for years. It's likely
to long outlast all those iPods and digital cameras and game consoles
flying off the store shelves right now. So you want to get the right
TV set this time around. Do-overs are expensive if you don't.

Unfortunately, shopping for a television set is much, much harder
than it used to be. The TV aisles in your local electronics store are
like exotic galleries packed with confusing acronyms -- LCD, HDTV,
DLP -- and staffed by clerks who often are either clueless, or so
geeky, that they can't help much. This is not a great situation when
you're spending thousands of dollars on a TV, not the hundreds people
used to spend.

So, here's a rough, quick guide to buying a television this holiday
season. Our aim is to provide a very basic cheat sheet so you can at
least wade through the basics and talk to the salespeople
intelligently. For greater detail, we suggest buying one of those
glossy magazines that covers new TVs in depth. Even if you don't
actually purchase the set at a store and instead opt to buy it
online, we suggest visiting the store to see the TV so that you can
judge its performance in person.

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20051207.html