[opendtv] Re: FCC transition rules excerpted summary

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 15:35:58 -0800

The FCC requires a station to notify the commission if they don't broadcast
for more than 30 continuous days.  Nothing new with that, and it doesn't
just pertain to tv, or DTV.

These new rules -- when they go into effect -- expand that a bit, but add in
viewer notification.

Either the excerpter or you didn't read correctly.  Nothing in the rules
permits VHF stations to broadcast at up to 1 MW.  Big caveat there.  Among
other things, it would violate many treaties. (Which have more power than
laws or regulations.)

John Willkie