[opendtv] FCC seeks data on uses of spectrum

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:21:09 -0600

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-09-2518A1.pdf

This public notice is mostly asking (a) how many jobs and howe much money can
be made with more spectrum for wireless broadband, and (b) how TV broadcasters
are using their spectrum today, and how they plan to use it in the future.

Predictably, the questions are skewed to wondering how much of the TV broadcast
spectrum the FCC can take back.

My wife was really annoyed by this, when I told her about it last night. She
said that most people don't go searching the FCC web site, so they wouldn't
know about any potential spectrum grab-back until the deal was done. Of course,
I agree with that. Although I would be surprised if the Congress would allow
such a thing to go through without at least some publicized debate.

At the very least, they need to take a new poll to see how many make use of OTA
TV.