[opendtv] FCC mandates LTE for public safety 700 MHz band

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:02:51 -0600

http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db0126/FCC-11-6A1.pdf

"10. Given the overwhelming record support for LTE among public safety
organizations and other stakeholders, and the importance of ensuring that all
public safety broadband networks adopt a common air interface in order to
establish an important building block for interoperability, we will require
that all networks deployed in the 700 MHz public safety broadband spectrum
adopt LTE, specifically at least 3GPP Standard E-UTRA Release 8 and associated
EPC. We recognize that this requirement departs from the Commission's
traditional posture of technological neutrality, which we believe has served
the public interest well-including in the mobile wireless sector, where the
flexibility for providers to choose their technology path has led to robust
competition and innovation to the benefit of consumers. While we continue to
believe in the importance of technological neutrality as a policy, we believe
that, in the instant case, establishing a common air interface for 700 MHz
public safety networks is necessary to achieve our critical goal of a
nationwide interoperable public safety wireless broadband network."