[opendtv] Re: FCC cracking down on misleading advertised broadband speeds

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 05:54:45 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:
> It seems a good start but I'm not confident that anything useful will
> ensue.
>
> I know that I recently upgraded to a 7 mbs DSL service from Verizon
> but it
> never tests higher than 2.5 down and 0.5 up.
> However, in reality, I don't ever recall seeing a down speed even
> close to
> the tested number.
> (I know the actual number is mostly dependent upon the feeding servers
> speed
> but I do smell a general industry shame).
>

> http://broadcastengineering.com/news/FCC-cracking-down-on-misleading-advertised-broadband-speeds/index.html

I use a cable modem, both here in Jacksonville FL with Comcast and until
recently with Cox in Gainesville FL.  I can easily watch my actual
download speeds averaged over a short period using my news group
download program.  In both cases the service could consistently maintain
the advertised speed on an ongoing basis.  I think the reason is both
Cox and Comcast actually have surplus capacity but are capping it to the
12 mbps that I am paying for.   Faster plans are available here but
12mbps is fine with me and I would even purchase a slightly lower plan
it it saved money and they offered one.

But on these last two providers I cannot agree I'm failing to get the
agreed upon speeds.  Maybe it is just DSL that has that problem?

- Tom