[opendtv] Re: FCC Broadband Plan on TV spectrum

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:58:12 -0500

Again referring to Chapter 5 of the FCC broadband plan,

http://download.broadband.gov/plan/national-broadband-plan-chapter-5-spectrum.pdf

A repeated argument in this chapter is the "value" of the spectrum when used by
different industries. Even ignoring the fact that frequencies as low as 225 MHz
are hardly ideal for handheld devices (but may be good for fixed devices), that
whole "value" argument has always rubbed me the wrong way.

I think I've come up with an analogy that explains why.

What is the "value" of the aspirin market, if we made aspirins a
by-prescription-only drug? It would be far greater than what the pharmaceutical
and medical industries can rake in today. Does that make a rule change for
aspirin something an agency of the US Government should be advocating? Just
because it would be more lucrative if doctors had to prescribe it?

The FCC cannot become so single-minded as to base its decisions on which
industries to prop up and which to eliminate only on THOSE INDUSTRIES'
revenues. If I were the FCC, I'd be more than a little embarassed to keep
repeating that argument. At least, pretend you're really concerned with a
bigger picture.