[opendtv] Re: Europeans 'not excited by mobile TV'

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:50:49 -0700

Nobody is, once you mention the possibility that there might be a charge for
it.  A friend  of mine just returned from IBC, where he had a booth.  "Lots
of interest among telcos on the transmission gear," which his firm sells,
"but nobody is buying, and the business model is in flux."

He was impressed with the video on MediaFlo, which he saw for the first
time, as was I a few years back, but not the screen size.

Here's something you might not have heard elsewhere.  MediaFlo in the U.S.
is a demonstration project, like when Sony and Qualcomm joined together to
make the first CDMA phones.  Offshore, Qualcomm is pursuing a different
tract, not a carrier to carriers, but they will be merely selling the tx
systems to foreign buyers.

Sounds to me like they aren't so sure about the commercial prospects outside
their 'demonstration project.'  And, of course, Verizon has never released a
number about subscribership.  Can't wait until AT&T gets on board; that
reported zero could double or triple.

John Willkie

P.S.  A few months ago, I posted a comment about the slim to none prospects
of mobile video on the InfectiousGreed.com blog run by a local vc.  Starting
the next day, all sorts of news and zines on mobile video starts arriving in
my inbox.  The largest content deal to date, by the way, is for the "Late,
Late Show with Craig Ferguson."  Verizon is offering full length, commercial
free downloads of the show about 10 hours after broadcast.  Wow!  I can't
wait to stand in line to sign up for that!   (It's a show that only college
kids and unemployed insomniacs watch.)