[opendtv] Early DSL days

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 02:16:50 +0000

John, not sure you remember this, but DSL, the real DSL, existed already in
1996. It provided 128 Kb/s service, which was quite a bit faster than dial-up
modems back then. DSL was used to carry ISDN, and the two basic rate 64K
channels were aggregated for telco broadband.

But the advent of the 56K modems took a bit of the wind out of ISDN's sails
(and sales), in the US.

So when the FCC classified DSL as a telco service, in 1996, this wasn't by
accident. And when ADSL was introduced sometime later (we finally got our in
2003 at home IIRC), that too was a telco service.

I just wanted to make sure that we're on the same page. Telco broadband did not
begin in 2005. That's when the FCC was basically shamed into being fair, wrt
cable broadband vs telco broadband. The question being, did they take the right
path to fairness?