[opendtv] Re: Due Date for Responses to the ,DTV-to-NTSC Converte r Box RFQ Extended to July 29

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:35:10 -0700

>thanks Mark and John.  To the extent I've ever needed to understand this, it
>was in the context of playback via multiformat vcrs  They obviously had to
>do some wiggling to get PAL-M into NTSC.
>
>John Willkie.

The required "wiggling" is easier when converting between NTSC and PAL-M than
when converting between either of those 525-line standards and a 625-line
standard like PAL-N. In the former, all you have to do is demod-remod the
color, while in the latter you also have to change the timebase.

In any case, multi-standard TVs and VCRs (NTSC/PAL-M/PAL-N) are pretty much the
norm in S. America, and they're not expensive.

-- Frank