[opendtv] Re: Doug Lung on FCC's OTA TV ideas

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:07:52 -0800

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Also, while some paint broadcast TV as a dinosaur ready for extinction,
>> they don't recognize that broadcasters have just completed a complex
>> transition to digital TV and now offer better picture quality and more
>> variety, including a large number of specialty and ethnic channels.
>
> So it seems that thanks to technology, broadcasters today are doing FAR MORE
> with less spectrum.
>
> Perhaps Mr. Lung should consider that changes in technology and the
> resulting demands for spectrum apply to broadcasters as well.

And for the record I seem to remember some of us around here spending
12+ years trying to make broadcasters see the light of data
broadcasting as a way to enhance their linear service to compete with
the oncoming onslaught of expanding bandwidth that we have today.
Except for the very small minority, I recall many the time being
looked upon with great disdain. No wonder everyone I can think of off
the top of my head got out of the business. Interestingly, most are in
the IPTV (to put it loosely) field now. Excuses are nice, but at the
end of the day, they won't pay the bills or change a consumer's
mindset -- which IMHO has already been changed.

Cheers
Kon