[opendtv] Does NBC News Always Keep a Designated-Presenter in Suit and Makeup?

  • From: Kent Borg <kentborg@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 22:30:47 -0500

I was listening to MSBNC audio as Rachel Maddow was ending and doing the handoff to Lawrence, except Lawrence seems to be off and Joy Reid is filling in. Except there is lots of silence and Rachel is talking about being able to see but not hear Joy.

Then I heard a male voice picking up the slack, doing the show, as I quickly figure out how to tune in some video...and I see some interesting camera work of pan and scan of graphics. And then I see a completely professional man in suit and makeup reading Joy's text--and I can tell it is her script because it sounds like her.

And here are the guests, all in a proper split screen, and they are being asked reasonable questions.

Who is this man?? Where did he come from??

I hear a guest refer to him as Richard, so it is Richard-something. Who is he and where did he come from...on 15-seconds notice!?

Does NBC News/MSNBC keep a hot-spare designated-presenter on staff at all times? Is this a cold war thing the mainline networks still maintain?

Okay, so I started writing this e-mail and quickly they go to a commercial break (sooner than usual?), and when they come back there is Joy, picking up as though she had been there the whole time.

What the hell did I just hear/see? Please someone give me the technical details on what was going on here.

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who isn't going to stay up that late but wonders how they handle the rerun later, does Joy redo the opening?