[opendtv] DisplayPort versus HDMI: Do we really need two digital-display-interface standards?

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 02:02:49 -0400

DisplayPort versus HDMI: Do we really need two
digital-display-interface standards?

By Ann R Thryft, Contributing Technical Editor -- 9/18/2008
EDN

DisplayPort proponents bill this digital-video-I/O standard as a
no-royalties, scalable, extensible, open-standard interface that
reduces connector footprint and cable clutter, lowers power
consumption and cost, eliminates the need for some circuitry, and
unifies interfaces in the boxes that connect to the home network.
VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association), which introduced
DisplayPort in 2006, last year ratified DisplayPort version 1.1a.
Silicon is beginning to appear in PCs, LCD monitors, and cable
assemblies, as well as in some motherboards and graphics cards. PC
makers initially developed DisplayPort to address computing-world
concerns and replace the external, box-to-box, analog-VGA
(video-graphics-array) interfaces in PC and LCD monitors, as well as
in CE (consumer-electronics) equipment, but it also targets the
external DVI (digital-visual-interface) connectors you find mostly in
CE systems. It even promises to replace the internal,
board-to-display, LVDS (low-voltage-differential-signaling) links in
both PC and CE devices.

During the past couple of years, however, while VESA was hashing out
the standard and getting working DisplayPort chips and systems
operating and certified, manufacturers began shipping high volumes of
silicon for the older, external-only, HDMI
(high-definition-multimedia-interface) digital-video-interface
standard. The designers of HDMI created it to replace DVI and based
it on DVI's legacy raster-scan CRT architecture. Despite the $5000 to
$10,000 annual fee and royalty structure of 4 cents per device, HDMI
ports now see use in several hundred million digital TVs and other CE
equipment that incorporates digital video, such as game consoles, DVD
(digital-video-disc) players, Blu-ray-disc players, and
digital-set-top boxes. Perhaps more important to DisplayPort
supporters, HDMI has also begun to appear in graphics cards, PCs, and
monitors to enable connectivity to HDTVs (high-definition
televisions).

http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6594089