[opendtv] Re: Digital TV "case study" on IEEE Spectrum Radio

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:12:22 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:

> You are assuming waaaaaay too much.
>
> Do you actually believe that typical consumers have an inkling
> of what 'UHF' and 'VHF' mean?

Heh heh. You do have a point. Replace "UHF" with "Channels 14 and
above." The question being, even if there's some ghost in the image, is
the signal reasonably strong? Or is the image grainy and full of snow?

I'm actually amazed that the IEEE would have posted the audio piece,
without comment.

> At the moment I'm conjuring up a vision of the fully extended
> rabbit ears on top of a friend's TV with large sheets of aluminum
> foil taped to them to get 'better pictures' from Fox 29 during
> the world series.
>
> His wife said OK but it all comes off as soon as there's a winner.

That's analog Fox 29, in Phila.

I have tried to play with adding a wire to the Radio Shack double bowtie
upstairs, to "tune" the antenna, but without much success. Eventually,
probably amid spousal protestations, I'll try a DB4 antenna upstairs
too. I'll bet it works great. And it really isn't big or ugly.

I think Mark Aitken is exactly right when he says that the FCC should
have established minimum receiver standards. ATSC A/74 sort of did the
job for them, but that was only until the FCC started considering white
space devices with signal sensing only. Now it's even more imperative
that they buckle down and do the homework they need to do, before
unleashing this on OTA people.