[opendtv] Re: Digital Music's Next Big Battle

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:28:16 -0700

I'd say it is borderline. I'm not sure if the serial protocol for
querying and tuning the XMPCR is *officially* available from XM under
public domain. If not, then that could fall under DMCA, no matter how
simple it is to reverse-engineer.

The DMCA case where Chamberlain (sp? - maker or garage door openers and
remotes) sued a remote-replacement company just proves that (they didn't
touch their 'encryption' per se, they just used a back-door (send a
reset command and the garage door opens)).

I don't think XM's intention was to provide a device that could save all
their tracks and then let the user put those on KaZaa or whatever.

Also, imagine where you run that recorder on your favorite genre station
for a month or two, 24/7. You're likely to get every track they have,
and then just discontinue service (no reason to listen to their tracks
when you have them on an MP3 player).

Cheers
Kon